Södra Skogsägarna ekonomisk förening is an economic association consisting of a total of 36 000 forest properties and with 50 000 people as members. Södra has a considerable production of paper pulp, wood products and biofuels. At a turnover of
17 billion SEK, the Södra business is divided into the following business areas:
- Södra Skog – timber raw products, forestry services
- Södra Timber – wood products
- Södra Cell – paper pulp
- Södra Interiör – interior wood products
The business area Södra Cell AB is one of the world’s leading producers of market pulp with 1 450 employees and an annual production of appr. 1.6 million tonnes in southern Sweden. Södra Innovation and New Businesses is the corporate research department, supporting the business areas with process and product competence.
Roles in GreenLight
Södras primary involvement is as experts on kraft mill operations, wood raw material and forest products including biorefinery products. Södra has an interest in finding value-added applications for kraft lignin present in abundance throughout the kraft pulp mills.
- Participation in the production of lignin from mill black liquors
- Responsible for Market analysis Provide information about up-scaling and pulp mill related issues. Perform the life cycle assessment. Responsible for risk assessment
- Responsible for the Exploitation plan